People in the following categories are automatically exempt from prescription charges:
- Children under 16
- Under 19 who are in full time education
- People over 60 years of age
- Pregnant women and women who have had a baby in the last 12 months
- People getting DSS benefits
- People with specific medical conditions
Costs for prescriptions are as follows:
- Charge per item is £7.65
It is sometimes worthwhile to buy a pre-payment certificate for long term medication. Pre-payment certificates can be purchased for four months or a year.
- A three month pre paid certificate is £29.10
- A one year pre paid certificate is £104.00
If you need regular repeat prescriptions this keeps the costs down to a manageable amount during the year.